Monday 12 January 2015

Taiterash!

Taiterash - a good old northern recipe, from my part of Lancashire!
This is a dish my late mum used to make. I can remember many years ago that we would sit round the dining table as a family thoroughly enjoying a plate of this. Thankfully, she taught me how to make it. I've no doubt many versions of this exist, but this is our family one.
It is really quite a simple meal-stewing steak, kidney, chopped onions, potatoes and carrots. Also, a couple of oxo stock cubes and two bouquet garni sachets.
To make it, I brown the meat and the onions, and then put into the slow cooker with enough water to cover the meat, add the oxo cubes, carrots and the Bouquet Garni, and cook it slowly for several hours. I cook the potatoes separately, having cut them into small pieces. These are added towards the end of the cooking time, when I also thicken the meat juices to a very tasty gravy.
To serve, pickled red cabbage is an absolute must! I hadn't added mine when I took this photo. 
This is very Slimming World friendly as the only syns are in the gravy - and very few too :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment