Wednesday 26 February 2014

Bit of an intro

As I mentioned yesterday, I've been following Slimming World for around 5 months now and have lost 22 lbs, which I'm absolutely delighted about.
In the past I've tried Weight Watchers, but found it very hard going as I always seemed to be hungry, had to count everything that passed my lips, and only had a slow to non existent weight loss. When they changed their system to Propoints it became completely hopeless, and the weight loss slowed down to virtually nil.
I gave up dieting, and the pounds crept on..... and on until I felt unfit and lethargic. I had low self esteem, and avoided mirrors and camera lenses.  Then, late last summer, I had a reunion weekend with my 3 best friends from University and was incredibly envious of how slim they all were.  I struggled to keep up when we were walking round and I think it was then I had my light bulb moment.
Some of the people I was working with at this time were having good success with Slimming World, so I signed up for a group.
I have to say I was very sceptical about it all to start with -  I couldn't believe I could eat so much and lose weight!  Pasta, potatoes, rice were 'free', I could eat any lean meat or fish, as much fruit as I wanted, and naughty things in moderation ie cake, sweets and bread :)  Food optimising is the key to success,  eating more superfree food,  and speed foods.
At my first weigh in after a week on the plan I had lost 5 lbs!  Since then it has settled down to somewhere between 0.5 - 1lb a week, occasionally more eg 2lbs, the occasional maintain. Only once have I put on weight (0.5lb) which was after Christmas, so not unexpected.
I have gone down one dress size, and with the last few lbs lost these coming weeks should be back to the size I used to be 30 years ago!
It's not a diet, more of an eating plan and way of life. I haven't the taste for greasy food now or takeaways, and still have scope for a bar of chocolate or slice of cake each and every day.
Going to group has worked for me - I need that accountabilty, facing the scales and my Leader :)  Dieting at home never worked for me - I wish it did.  Still, when I reach my target weight I'll have free membership and won't have to pay for classes etc.

My only regret is giving away my small clothes to a Charity Shop years ago, believing I would never get back in them!

No comments:

Post a Comment